DEVELOPMENT ASSOCIATE – Full-time
Visual AIDS is looking to welcome a full-time Development Associate who is enthusiastic about helping Visual AIDS grow its organizational capacity and who is dedicated to supporting our mission. The Development Associate will report to the Visual AIDS Executive Director to plan two annual benefit events, research funding opportunities, write grant proposals and reports, and implement individual donor strategies.
Visual AIDS is a leading New York-based contemporary arts non-profit with a growing national and international reach. Founded in 1988, Visual AIDS is the only contemporary arts organization fully committed to HIV prevention and AIDS awareness through producing and presenting visual arts projects, while assisting artists living with HIV and AIDS. The organization is committed to preserving and honoring the work of artists with HIV and AIDS and the artistic responses to the AIDS pandemic.
Development Associate – Job Description
● Support the production of two annual benefits (Postcards from the Edge and the Visual AIDS Vanguard Awards) with the supervision of the Executive Director, including long-term planning; managing donations, sales and auctions; communicating with benefit committees; volunteer management, and on-site project management during events.
● Assist with individual donor cultivation and annual appeals.
● Provide research and administrative support for foundation and corporate fundraising, including maintaining the annual grants calendar, and drafting and editing grant materials.
● Assist with Board stewardship and Board meeting preparation.
● Contribute to the financial success of the organization by coordinating fundraising efforts with foundations, corporations, individuals and special events.
● Office Administration—The Development Associate is the primary scheduler and office manager. They maintain and operate databases, including press contacts, donors, mailing list, and artwork information. They conduct day-to-day operations, including managing office equipment, ordering supplies, and general correspondence.
● Support the Executive Director
● Be highly organized, detail-oriented, have excellent communication and writing skills, and have a track record of managing successful programs and/or events.
● Maintain the organization’s culture of inclusion, openness, and respect with artists, audiences, board members, donors and volunteers.
● Balance long-term organizational plans with hands-on, day-to-day work and be a flexible and highly motivated team player that enjoys the challenge of working on multiple projects simultaneously on tight deadlines.
Knowledge and Education:
Bachelor’s degree and 1-2 years of professional experience in related fields required.
Experience with fundraising within a non-profit arts organization, including grant writing and benefit planning required.
Experience with donor management software such as DonorPro preferred.
Interest or background in Art History, Studio Arts and/or HIV/AIDS activism preferred.
Knowledge and understanding of current issues around HIV/AIDS preferred.
$34,000 - $38,000 (commensurate with experience) + comprehensive health benefits.
Visual AIDS Statement of Values:
In the fight against AIDS, Visual AIDS draws from our 30 year history of art activism, and we believe: effective AIDS advocacy seeks to address the underlying and related issues that contribute to and exacerbate the pandemic, such as poverty, homophobia and racism; Our work affirms the visibility, dignity and rights of people living with HIV and AIDS; Visual AIDS promotes art that is public, inclusive and accessible, that takes risks and promotes and encourages reflection, response and action.
Visual AIDS for the Arts provides equal employment opportunities. People living with HIV and AIDS; people with disabilities; people of color; women; and lesbian, gay, transgender/gender non-conforming and bisexual people are encouraged to apply.
Send cover letter, resume and three references to [email protected] - subject line "Development Associate Application [Your name]".
Application deadline: July 1, 2018